PDA

View Full Version : Public Gun Range

SgtGarand
09-07-07, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum, but Ive been in Tally for 2 years now(starting 3rd year at TCC) but the only range I've heard of is the Rifle and Pistol range. Is there a local range that is open to the public? My only way to shoot is to drive to my friend's farm, in Lee FL., and shoot there. But school is back in...so I cant drive 2 hours(there and back) just to go target practice.

Thanks!

vanilla_gorilla
09-07-07, 01:36 AM
There's the public range in the National Forest of FR 305, but a lot of times, it's like the wild west out there. One look at the shot-up state of everything out there lets you know what goes on. :mad:

I'll soon be rejoining the rifle and pistol club.

Bigdog57
09-07-07, 06:04 AM
The public range is okay if you come very early or during the weekdays. The idiots are there on weekend afternoons mostly.
From highway 20 west, go five miles west of the truck route and take Silverlake Road south until just BEFORE it turns to dirt. The forest road to your right is FR301, take it west til you come to FR376, turn left (south). Go all the way to FR305, head east (left) til you come to the range. This cuts six miles off going all the way down Silverlake Road to FR305. It's called "the back way in".
Watch for the deer.

SgtGarand
09-07-07, 12:03 PM
How far out of Tallahassee is it?

Like..If I was on Tennessee street how would I get there..or get to highway 20.

typeay
09-14-07, 06:37 PM
The public range is OK on week-days. You couldn't pay me to be out there on a week-end.

SgtGarand
10-23-07, 01:21 AM
Hello again gents :p

I might be taking a trip out to the range within the next week or so.

I'm getting my first pistol, I turned 21 on the 13th. I'm getting a Rock Island 1911. I've heard alot of good things about them and about the customer support for the pistols. Its also the only thing I can afford right now. Its on back order at the moment. I hope they get them and ship it by the end of this week. Then the 3 day waiting period. Then I'll be out there to shoot the heck out of it. I will bring my Garand and Carbine also.

Sweett
10-23-07, 09:25 AM
I almost bought a rock island, let me know how you like it.

KamikazeSloth
10-23-07, 11:27 AM
Where are you getting your RIA 1911 from?? I've been looking at getting one of their compact 3" pieces for fun and to carry. I've found good prices on them from Sarco Inc, and Centerfire Systems, have you looked there before?? I know they have one at Tallahassee Gun and Pawn, but it's way overpriced for a GI issue style...

SgtGarand
10-23-07, 02:20 PM
Yea, I got it from Centerfire.

I did see the one at Tallahassee Gun and Pawn when I went to get the FFL, but for $450...I'll pass and wait for it to ship from Centerfire. :(

KamikazeSloth
10-23-07, 02:48 PM
Who are you using to transfer it through? I'll probably do the same... Oh yeah, how much is it gonna end up running you once you finally get it??

SgtGarand
10-23-07, 03:27 PM
Well, like I said I went to Tally Gun and Pawn on S. Monroe for the FFL. I might go to defensive arms next time if their fee is lower. It was $60 for the transfer. :eek:

When I transfered my M44 through them it was only $25. I guess they charge extra when its a pistol?

But it will cost me like $420 after its all done. :mad:
Now that I look at it, I probably could have had the pistol by now if I just paid a little extra to buy the one they had. Oh well.

KamikazeSloth
10-23-07, 04:00 PM
That's cool, I'm gonna go with Defensive Arms myself, they've got the lowest transfer fee around, and they're on here, so I'm gonna give them some business.

Yeah, after it's all said and done, it might've been cheaper to buy it in town, but you live and learn I guess!

BlkSS
10-23-07, 05:01 PM
Defensive Arms only charges $20, shoulda gone with him. If the gun is on back order Im sure you still have time to get them to change the FFL, Defensive Arms can fax or email them a copy of the FFL and they can mail it to them. Save yourself $40.

SgtGarand
10-29-07, 10:29 PM
I'm going to try to go to the public range early Tuesday morning. Will bring my Garand, Carbine, and my step-dad's revolver that I borrowed to clean and see how it shoots. Apparently its an old S&W Victory M&P in .38 special.

Hopefully I don't run into the idiots I've been hearing about :eek:
But with as cold as it is in the morning..it will be tough for me to even want to get out there...lol

SgtGarand
10-30-07, 10:51 AM
Well it took me a little while to find the range. A little more out of the way than originally expected, but still its closer than having to drive an hour out of town to go to my friend's house to shoot on his land.

My first trip out there was a pretty good, thankfully. A few guys out there, maybe some of you guys here, when I pulled up. No idiots or wannabe gangsters...lol

Next time I go will be when my 1911 ever decides to shop up :mad: According to Centerfire its still on backorder. Maybe it will be enough time for me to get some more money so I can get more ammo. Pistol rounds just go way too fast. Got a box of 50 for the .38 special and I'm left with about 8 rounds. I never like to shoot all of the ammo I get, that way I'll have some for the "just in case" situations.

Cameradude
10-30-07, 02:10 PM
...just FYI, Tall Gun & Pawn charges the highest rates around here along with Mikes Pawn and then Kevin's. If I have to go through a Pawn I use Folmars, Mark has been really good to me. The others seem to charge a percentage of the whole deal then add the FFL on top of it. Another good business is Ron's Guns out of St. Marks. They're usually at all the gunshows here.

But try to stay away from the Pawns around here. They want way too much for their FFL services and they think everything in their store is made from gold!

cyclone72
10-30-07, 04:59 PM
Tall gun amd Pawn sux donkey dix fellas,they ripped me off awhile ago,STAY AWAY from them like your mothers underwear,:mad:

I ordered a two-tone(gladly paid extra) Sig 220 and after a 4week wait they said it came,to my surprise it was not two-tone and they told me they could not refund my money's but gave me some ammo and a shoulder holster.If Id a known better it would have turned out differently,#### them and the horse they rode in on.Stay Away from them at all costs.:cool:

Bigdog57
10-31-07, 01:00 PM
TG&P is hit or miss. I have bought some good guns there - though not 'good deals' pricewise. Just stuff that I really wanted and couldn't find elsewhere. I did get a good deal on a heavy-duty nylon multi-pistol case made by Hafners - normally retails for $35, I got it for $10.
I did get burned on a transfer there, so I use Folmars when ordering guns from online sources.
DO NOT buy ammo there - ridiculous prices!! :mad: