Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Daly Semi-Auto 12 ga. [practical -to- tactical]

Default Charles Daly Semi-Auto 12 ga. [practical -to- tactical]

Well, I got tired of the "practical" look of my Charles Daly Semi-Auto 12ga. Shotgun. I used this gun back when I was in high school, on the 4-H Shotgun Team. Since then, it has been sitting in the closet collecting dust. However, I need a good home defense shotgun, so instead of buying a new gun, I decided to mod my Charles Daly 12ga. I did several google searches on the possibility of a mag extension to fit my shotgun and all said it was not possible. So, I thought bump that and purchased a 10rd mag extension for a Remington 870, anyway (got one for the 870, since my gun uses Trulock Remington chokes). I was quite pleased to discover that I was able to install the mag extension on it with only minor modifications to the gun using my dremel tool. First, there was a small nub that had to ground down inside the shotgun, which restricted the shells from going past. Then, I had to dremel out some material from inside the tube of the shotgun, so the follower could pass through. After all of that (about an hour or so worth of work), I tested it by loading 10rds, which all slid in smoothly, and racked the action over and over, in which all 10 rounds fed and ejected flawlessly.

Anyway, here's pics:

Before:

After:

Next to come is a stock with pistol grip and a shell holder for the receiver and stock.

Good job! If you don't get em with 10 rounds, they deserve to take whatever they can get!!!

Banned

Hell yeah, you tell em, they say it can't be done......sounds like a challenge

Thanks guys. I found the stock and shell holders I want on cheaperthandirt and I may go ahead and submit the order for them today.

I think I am also going to install ghost ring sights on the gun. I know I will need to remove part of the vent rib at the end of the barrel, so the front sight can be mounted, but that's what the dremel tool is for.

That's inspiring Thomas. I wondering if it will work with my CD pump action? Guess it should if it worked with the semi auto.

I was wondering the same thing Alvin. Julie's got a 20 Ga CD pump that I wanted to put an extended mag tube on. I might have to try it now.
    ďIf you canít be counted on, you canít be counted inĒ

-Burke in Down Here by Andrew Vachss

Quote Originally Posted by flyingk9 View Post
    That's inspiring Thomas. I wondering if it will work with my CD pump action? Guess it should if it worked with the semi auto.
    Thanks Alvin. I will go ahead and warn you know that if you buy an 870 mag extension, then it will not thread on all the way. It only goes on about half way, so you may need to make a shim to take up the slack. I just cut a small ring out of a pipe, filed it down to fit snug, then painted it black. Even though it doesn't thread on all the way, if you hand tighten it as much as you can, and then add on the barrel/extension clamp and tighten that down, then it should be fine. Mine is rock solid with no play in it and no matter how hard I yank on it and twist/pull, it stays in place, with no movement. Even though it couldn't thread all the way on, it still lined up perfectly straight with the barrel and the shells and follower fed through it just fine.

I just ordered a universal pistol grip stock for it, shown here:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT035-1.html

So, I'll see how it fits, but I am pretty sure the dremel tool will be getting some more use.

BTW, anyone know of places to order ghost ring sights for shotguns?

You may want to check with CD, and see if the stock that they use on the tactical models will fit the receiver on your semi.

Like this one...Special Purpose Tactical
    http://www.charlesdaly.com/fsemi.asp

Quote Originally Posted by flyingk9 View Post
    You may want to check with CD, and see if the stock that they use on the tactical models will fit the receiver on your semi.

Like this one...Special Purpose Tactical
    http://www.charlesdaly.com/fsemi.asp
    Thanks for the link. I had also thought about seeing if they would sell those stocks individually, but never really went to the trouble of contacting them about getting one. I am pretty sure they will fit because here's an attached pic of one of the stocks off the gun. I took mine off to see what it looked like and the stock was slightly different (didn't have a complete, raised, circle), but the receiver cut outs were exactly the same. I may call them tomorrow and see if they will sell one. I may also inquire about some of their ghost ring sights while I'm at it. I just wish they had a website with the parts listed and availible for order, which would make things MUCH more convenient. I like the grip on that CD stock better, but someone on the CD Forums posted a photo of their CD pump action that they had installed an 870 pistol grip on and it only required minor mods with a saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Alvin,

I just did some more searching on the CD forums and came up with this about the pistol grip stock (quoted fromthe site admin/K.B.I. President):

"You can buy the pistol grip buttstock now.....

......However, please note that this buttstock will not fit any of our semi-autos that have an alpha character in the serial number, (no letters). This means that the buttstock will fit approximately 97% of the CD semi-autos in the market.

The pistol grip buttstocks fit the semi-autos and the pumps..... .......And yes, they can be purchased directly from our Customer Service/Parts Department. They are now in stock.

Call CS (toll free) at 866-DalySvc, M-F, 9:00AM to 4:30PM. Ask to speak to either Brad or Lindsey. They can quote you a price and take your order......

.........We also have a small quantity of the new Tactical/Breeching choke tube in stock. These will be posted to the Classifieds also."

My CD shotty doesn't have the alpha character in the serial number, so it will definately fit. Also, those tactical choke tubes are availible for $39.
    Last edited by T.Payne; 12-06-09 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast