Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left handed .22 pistol??

Banned

Default Left handed .22 pistol??

Dang it. I took Suzanne to the Talon open range day today and she had a TON OF FUN.:banghead2:

She shot a borrowed S&W .22 target pistol she "hated" because she shoots left handed (and right eyed ) and the pistol's controls were impossible for her to work without changing hands.

When the command is "draw, put two rounds on the target, scan, and then reholster". That safety was . . . inconvenient. Pretty funny to see her do this, but by the time she got the two rounds fired, everyone else had completed the drill and was about to fall asleep from boredom.

So . . . not being a .22 pistol kind of guy, I really have no idea what is out there in either left hand, for fully ambidextrous, "target" grade .22 pistols.

Of course, my immediate reaction is to get a .22 kit for the 1911. But at this point she says that pistol is just too heavy. . . . and for her - at this point - I agree.

So . . . suggestions please . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbler View Post
    Dang it. I took Suzanne to the Talon open range day today and she had a TON OF FUN.:banghead2:

She shot a borrowed S&W .22 target pistol she "hated" because she shoots left handed (and right eyed ) and the pistol's controls were impossible for her to work without changing hands.

When the command is "draw, put two rounds on the target, scan, and then reholster". That safety was . . . inconvenient. Pretty funny to see her do this, but by the time she got the two rounds fired, everyone else had completed the drill and was about to fall asleep from boredom.

So . . . not being a .22 pistol kind of guy, I really have no idea what is out there in either left hand, for fully ambidextrous, "target" grade .22 pistols.

Of course, my immediate reaction is to get a .22 kit for the 1911. But at this point she says that pistol is just too heavy. . . . and for her - at this point - I agree.

So . . . suggestions please . . ?
    Beretta 87? Or how about centerfire pistol with conversion? A glock wouldn't weigh much at all.

Glock 19 with an Advantage arms 22lr upper? No controls, dual duty as a 9mm backup? Should be pretty darn light, the upper is only 6.5 oz.

Beretta 87 Cheetah 22lr. - Ambi safety, Reversible mag release, pricey as all get out

Beretta U22 Neos - Ambi safety, easy weak-hand mag release in non-standard position, looks like ass to me.

P22 is ambidextrous, but high round counts, and you will probably start to have issues.

Sig Mosquito - Same as p22

GSG-1911 - Former airsoft company interpretation off 22lr 1911, ambi safety, but weighs "the same" so they claim as fullsize steel version

MAYBE AMBI FRIENDLY DEPENDING ON EFFORT
    Sig p228/9 with 22lr Conversion, Decocker will remain right handed, but mag release can easily be flipped. I have no trouble using the decocoker with my thumb left handed. Mine are both DA/SA. You could also go DAO trigger on one, and eliminate decocker.

Smith and Wesson 22A - Center mag release, but right safety/slide

Non-Ambi friendly:

Ruger MKII - safety is not ambidextrous, slide release etc.

Hammerli Trailside - same problem, the slide mounted safety is right-handed.

Browning Buckmark - Same, safety, slide release etc.

High standard Victor

Smith and Wesson 41 - Excellent target pistol, same problems
    Last edited by jt526; 08-07-10 at 03:13 PM.

Anything ambi would be left handed friendly. I dont think anyone makes a handgun specifically for lefties. All the guns I have bought are for right handers.
    "These needle nosed d**ks need to wake up and smell what they're shoveling because we are not fooled by their gun loving rhetoric." - Me

Banned

Yeah! That's it! I'll get her a GLOCK!!

. . just kidding. 'truth is that if she likes them, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

I thank you for taking the time to type all that out! I agree that the Neos looks like ass. But after knowing here for a decade and a half, I have the feeling she will love that pistol because of the weird lines.

That Sig Mosquito I'm afraid of. It's ammo pickiness is legendary.

. . I need to get her to the next TGF shoot so she can test drive a couple of options before I spend money on something she doesn't really like.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone72 View Post
    Anything ambi would be left handed friendly. I dont think anyone makes a handgun specifically for lefties. All the guns I have bought are for right handers.
    Yea dang it. If I could just get her to centerfire I could fix her right up. But she doesn't like the (quoting her) "concussion" of a centerfire gun. Heck, she left the range and when home when I got out my 1911.

Old Ladies

get her a beretta bobcat in 22. she will love it. not a range gun but fun as heck.

Damn, I forgot all about the CZ - 75 which you can get with ambi safety, and then a Kadet 22lr kit. It is going to be a heavy and expensive route though.

Banned

She has been Google shopping.

So far she has decided she likes the Walther P-22 and the SIG Mosquito (yes, I told her it was VERY ammunition picky).

Fortunately, I know a few of you folks own those. Maybe in a couple of weeks -she is going out to visit her daughter in . . . California - we can get together and let her test drive them . . . ?

They make left handed 1911's.

And then get a 22 coversion kit. As far as know, the conversion slides are al-you-mini-um ? So the weight would be down.

And then there is the single stack 1911, lightweight frame, in Commander size, with ambi-safeties, and they also make an ambi mag release. It would cost a bit more than normal, whatever that is. And then download her some ammo that would be fun to shoot. You do know how to reload - right?

A 200 grain bullet at around 5-600fps is almost silly to shoot, but she would really enjoy shooting the .45 then, and with no recoil, she would be hard to beat at the firing line.

just sayin, you know
    as long as there is lead in the air..........there is hope in the heart!

Banned

We think so much alike it really scares me.

. . but at this point I don't think she will go for it. Probably her second pistol though . . .

Quote Originally Posted by noblsht View Post
    They make left handed 1911's.

And then get a 22 coversion kit. As far as know, the conversion slides are al-you-mini-um ? So the weight would be down.

And then there is the single stack 1911, lightweight frame, in Commander size, with ambi-safeties, and they also make an ambi mag release. It would cost a bit more than normal, whatever that is. And then download her some ammo that would be fun to shoot. You do know how to reload - right?

A 200 grain bullet at around 5-600fps is almost silly to shoot, but she would really enjoy shooting the .45 then, and with no recoil, she would be hard to beat at the firing line.

just sayin, you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast