Thread: Low Melt Point Alloy Frame Guns

Default Low Melt Point Alloy Frame Guns

I was looking at the Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver on Bud's, and noticed the message below regarding low melt point laws. I've got to admit that I was ignorant of these laws, so I googled it. Of course, the stuff you read when you google it equates "low melt point" with "cheap" and "low quality". It appears to be a complete gun-grab approach to getting what they can with respect to gun laws.

Having said that, are these low-melt alloy frame guns likely to be shorter-lived with respect durability? Any thoughts on that?

"This gun is not legal to own in:
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Minnesota
    South Carolina
    Due to the melt point laws in these states..."
    "When they say 'Mother Earth', they mean 'dirt', right?"
    Hank Hill, fictional Texas philosopher, High School football hero, and seller of propane and propane accessories

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants."
    Albert Camus, French author, journalist, philosopher, and advocate for individual freedom

Thumbs up

A twentytwo rimfire doesn't need super strength materials. I have the Tanfoglio TA76, very similar to the Roughrider, made in the 60's. .22WMR, decent shooter, looks cheapo but has lasted quite well. Cylinder lockup is tight, it performs perfectly well.
    This keeps certain guns in a price range most Americans can afford. The all steel Ruger Singlesix is a 'better' gun, but the Heritage is easily 'good enough' and will last decades of use.

Isn't Low Melt Point Alloy another way to say zinc?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
    but the Heritage is easily 'good enough' and will last decades of use.
    Have you ever owned one?

I had a Heritage that was worn out after less than 1,000 rounds. My Ruger single six has been working fine for decades.

The part that rotates the cylinder (the hand) wore a groove in the (low quality metal) frame causing it to lock up completely every 10 to 12 rounds. To fix the problem I had to remove the cylinder and push the hand back into place. I would rather pay extra for better quality.
    Last edited by ropeman; 05-13-12 at 01:11 PM.

Old Ladies

a 22lr pistol needs to be made out of better materials than pot metal if it is going to last. Don't waste your money on a cheap gun. a good used ruger 22/45 or mark 1 or 2 cost between 200-250. That's only 50 bucks more or so than a junk gun. There's a reason they are called SNS.
    Last edited by oldgungal; 05-13-12 at 04:23 PM.

Talking

Well, I guess the Roughrider ain't as well built as it's decades-old grandad.
    Zamac used to be stronger back then........