Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I buy my dad a gun?

Default Can I buy my dad a gun?

I was wanting to get my dad something for his birthday, I was wondering if it's legal for me to buy a gun for him. Here's the thing though. About 15-16 years ago, my mom called the cops on him when they were arguing and he spent the night in jail. Apparently he got a misdemeanor for domestic abuse or something. He had his record expunged though. He already owns several firearms and he definitely has newer firearms that he has purchased since then. So is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Skorm View Post
    I was wanting to get my dad something for his birthday, I was wondering if it's legal for me to buy a gun for him. Here's the thing though. About 15-16 years ago, my mom called the cops on him when they were arguing and he spent the night in jail. Apparently he got a misdemeanor for domestic abuse or something. He had his record expunged though. He already owns several firearms and he definitely has newer firearms that he has purchased since then. So is it legal?
    I wouldnt touch that situation with a 10 foot pole...what about getting him some gun parts,a scope, barrels, or something along those lines instead of the actual firearm...laser sight, bumpfire stock, etc...there is a whole bag of goodies I am sure he would enjoy no matter what kind of shooting he is into...

I don't believe you are suppose to buy firearms for anyone but yourself. Even though people give guns to each other quite often. One thing you could do is pick out a gun you want to buy him and take him to get it. He fill out the paperwork you pay. That way if he shouldn't own a gun the background check will catch it.
    "Religion is the only thing keeping the poor from killing the rich"

OPSEC

if you don't know it, google it.
    ~
    Ceddie

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy4090 View Post
    I don't believe you are suppose to buy firearms for anyone but yourself. Even though people give guns to each other quite often. One thing you could do is pick out a gun you want to buy him and take him to get it. He fill out the paperwork you pay. That way if he shouldn't own a gun the background check will catch it.
    isn't that considered a 'straw purchase'? From my understanding, and I am by no means a lawyer, As long as son buys the gun, then presents it to his father as a gift whether it be a day or 10 years down the road....If Dad can legally own a gun this is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy4090 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecl0ver View Post
    isn't that considered a 'straw purchase'? From my understanding, and I am by no means a lawyer, As long as son buys the gun, then presents it to his father as a gift whether it be a day or 10 years down the road....If Dad can legally own a gun this is legal.
    I am not a lawyer. No that is not considered a straw purchase. A straw purchase is if he bought it himself in Skorm's name for his dad b/c his dad could not legally buy it himself. Just like in high school when you got the old drunk to buy your beer

If he has bought a firearm through an FFL since his legal situation then it should be fine legally. But a good way to know is to do it like Tommy said take him in let him do the paper work and you foot the bill.
    "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither"

Josh is correct. I have actually seen an ATF statement saying as much. Take a look at the ATF FAQ section, and I think you'll find this exact topic addressed.
    "When they say 'Mother Earth', they mean 'dirt', right?"
    Hank Hill, fictional Texas philosopher, High School football hero, and seller of propane and propane accessories

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants."
    Albert Camus, French author, journalist, philosopher, and advocate for individual freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Ceddie View Post
    OPSEC

if you don't know it, google it.
    I tried but didn't come up with much lol... Is there any way I could have a gun store run a background check on him for me?

whats the diff in the guy buying the gun for his dad and his dad buying a gun from his son? in the end his dad is still gonna have a gun.....which he already has some.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorm View Post
    I tried but didn't come up with much lol... Is there any way I could have a gun store run a background check on him for me?
    I doubt they would do it without him being there, so just do like Tommy suggested and take him there.

If you want it to really be a surprise I would suggest to ask him without asking well in advance of the purchase. Tell him you were thinking about setting up a trust and wanted to add him to it for possession of arms, but you were unsure of his legal status in concern with his past. If he says anything other than he is 100% legal to own firearms DO NOT DO IT.

Again this is a moot point if he has purchased a firearm through a dealer since his run in with the law. If you are SURE he bought a gun through a dealer then he had a background check and passed it. This is assuming he has done nothing since that would keep him from owning firearms. Then you have no worries about buying him a gun and giving it to him as a gift. Again I am not a lawyer, but if I knew for sure I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    "He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast