Thread: H&R Model 158 Topper .410 3" single shot value?

Default H&R Model 158 Topper .410 3" single shot value?

I just acquired (cheap) a very nice Harrington & Richardson Topper Model 158, . 410, 3" chamber, break action single shot.

I have never owned a .410 before and I really like this gun.

What would be the approximate value of this shotgun in very good condition?

The serial number starts with "AJ" so this puts this gun manufactured in the 1970's I believe.

Serial Number has been covered:

Last edited by Tally XD; 12-28-12 at 10:37 PM.
    The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Banned

There are a gazillion of these out there. The older ones have nicer wood (not saying much) but are essentially identical. They are good, serviceable, reliable, and tough guns but not worth much. I've bought many in many different calibers for $50-$75 in similar shape to yours. I bought a 12ga with color case hardened receiver and nice wood in perfect shape from a guy moving for $25 but that was "one of those deals".

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    There are a gazillion of these out there. The older ones have nicer wood (not saying much) but are essentially identical. They are good, serviceable, reliable, and tough guns but not worth much. I've bought many in many different calibers for $50-$75 in similar shape to yours. I bought a 12ga with color case hardened receiver and nice wood in perfect shape from a guy moving for $25 but that was "one of those deals".
    I agree with that assessment... there is no collectability of these guns. The current equivalent to these single shot H&Rs is the Rossi, and they go for $100 new on sale with an MSRP of $155.
    "When they say 'Mother Earth', they mean 'dirt', right?"
    Hank Hill, fictional Texas philosopher, High School football hero, and seller of propane and propane accessories

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants."
    Albert Camus, French author, journalist, philosopher, and advocate for individual freedom

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by substratum View Post
    I agree with that assessment... there is no collectability of these guns. The current equivalent to these single shot H&Rs is the Rossi, and they go for $100 new on sale with an MSRP of $155.
    You can still buy the H&R Topper new.

I figured it must not be worth too much. It is a nice gun and I think this will be a keeper.
    The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

I'd be all over these things if .410 wasn't so damn expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Tack Driver View Post
    You can still buy the H&R Topper new.
    I didn't know that. About 35 years ago I purchased a .58 caliber H&R muzzle loader that looks just like it. I still have it.

TallyXD - you can never go wrong with a single .410.
    "When they say 'Mother Earth', they mean 'dirt', right?"
    Hank Hill, fictional Texas philosopher, High School football hero, and seller of propane and propane accessories

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants."
    Albert Camus, French author, journalist, philosopher, and advocate for individual freedom

Banned

[QUOTE=substratum;276868]I didn't know that. About 35 years ago I purchased a .58 caliber H&R muzzle loader that looks just like it. I still have it.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/topper.asp

I like them and the Handi-Rifles. They are just good practical arms and very versatile. I've got a few.

TallyXD - you can never go wrong with a single .410.
    Man, have you ever shot clays with a .410? If you're ever feeling cocky, it's fun. Even with hand thrown clays it's a challenge.